Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Work in Progress

I am making Gertie’s new pattern: Butterick 5882. The plan (if it turns out as I have it in my mind!!) is to wear it to a garden party that we are having on June 1st for someone’s (no names mentioned!) big Birthday.


I started off by making a muslin of the top. This is a new step to me. I have always worked on the theory that I have so little time to sew that I need to get right into the “proper sewing”. I did a muslin for the Lady Grey coat but that’s it! But this time I made the muslin. I think it fits fine, the interesting thing is that I have never worn a dress with a bra shelf, so It took some time to work out the placement of said shelf!!

Crouched on the hotel room floor in my Me Made PJs
Then I needed to get it all cut out and marked, but I had to spend a week in Montreal on business. So the first thing I packed was a little bag with the pre-washed fabric, the patterns, pins, tape measure and making pens. Then over two nights crouched on the floor (I missed my cutting table!) I had it all cut out, marked and pinned together.

I am using a black and white polka dot fabric for the body of the dress and a plain red for the bra part.

Now I am home and just need to sew it!


Robson Coat slowly taking shape
My other Work in progress is the Robson coat which is slowly taking shape. Slowly but surely!!!

2 comments:

  1. That's some serious dedication to take your project on a business trip with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even more so to do it on a carpet. I've tried pinning on carpets before and my work ended up stuck to the floor. :-(

      Delete