Monday, February 25, 2013

The Toronto Sewing Blog Meet Up


The first Toronto Sewing Blog Meet Up took place on Saturday and it was a resounding success. Thanks to Gillian and Adrienne for all the organizing!

Vicky, Kristin, Andi and Tracey

I took the train in from the 'burbs and then got my exercise for the day by walking up to La Gourmand cafe on Spadina at Queen Street West. We were greeted like old friends even though most had never met each other in person.

We were given name tags with our blog addresses to we could figure out who was who. Then Catja spoiled us with decadent Cake Pops. Yummy!

Because we were 17 people, after the first store we split up into smaller groups and meandered along Queens Street West. It was such fun to look at what other people were buying and hearing their sewing plans. I was remarkably restrained, I only purchased one piece of fabric, a black and white polka dot cotton.


Vicky picked up this Mandela print Shweshwe fabric on a trip to South Africa

We shopped for a couple of hours before heading to the Tequila Bookworm (how cute a name is that!) where we had the upstairs reserved just for us. Our server was on his first day on the job and here he landed up with 17 ladies all talking non stop and of course he was also asked to take several group photos!!

Moi, with Adrienne and Seraphinalina
Gillian, Kay, Chloe, Anastasia, Dana, Vicki, Catja, Jagoda, Moi, Adrienne

Chloe, Reethi, Sarah and Anastasia
(I think that piece of fabric is going to grow up in to a pair of pants)
We then proceeded on to the second part of our day which was the fabric and pattern swap. That was great fun.

All in all a wonderful afternoon and I for one am looking forward to a summer one as well.

There are more photos up on Flickr.




10 comments:

  1. I'll be there in the summer. I thought the meet-up was next Saturday not this one! Oh well. I am glad you all had a fabulous time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Debbie, it was great meeting you! Thanks for the purse pattern, I'll be definitely going back to the leather store to get some loot to make one of them! I'll see you around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jagoda. Great meeting you and so glad you like the bag pattern. Looking forward to seeing the bags you make.

      Delete
  3. Fabulous! Hi Debbie, It was so great to meet you on Saturday! I just wanted to let you know that I have posted my pics and write-up for the meet-up here: http://gjeometry.com/2013/02/27/sewing-bloggers-united-for-a-meet-up/

    Enjoy and look forward to seeing you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to the next meet-up as this one was such fun!

      Delete
  4. I was a bit hesitant about going all the way to TO for the meet-up, but I should have known that we would all have such a great time together, have so much in common besides sewing, and enjoy all the shopping and eating! I'll see you next time I'm in town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so nice to meet you, I am glad you came all the way to Toronto, it was a great afternoon and hopefully we can have more of these!

      Delete
  5. It was a great day, wasnt' it? I really enjoyed meeting so many people. I can't wait to see what you make with your fabric from the trade. You ended up with this fabric, right? http://seraphinalina.blogspot.ca/2011/09/friday-rambling.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you had a great vacation!

      Yes, I did get the black and white fabric during the trade. When it grows up it is going to be this Butterick dress:

      http://debbie-sewdebbie.blogspot.ca/2011/03/me-made-march.html

      Delete