Monday, January 14, 2013

Knitting With Wire






I completed this project a while ago but never got round to blogging about it.  I tried my hand at knitting with wire and made a necklace and cuff bracelet.

I had purchased the wire and beads back at the Toronto Creative Festival in 2010, but only got round to knitting it up late last year.




The wire was a copper, soft gauge wire. Gauge 24 or 26 is good as it is easier to manipulate. I threaded lots of beads onto the wire first, that way you can add beads as you knit the stitches. As for needles, wood needles are better for knitting with wire. I actually used two kebab sticks! Then I cast on four stitches and knitted back and forth, garter stitch, adding beads randomly until I had a length for one side of my necklace. Then I knitted the same for the other side. I joined the two pieces with a larger bead in the middle and a copper clasp at the back.

Difficult to photograph up close, but you get the idea!
For the bracelet I cast on 8 stitches and knitted, garter stitch again, adding beads at random, until it was the correct length for my wrist. Then I added a clasp.




A nice quick and easy project!

No comments:

Post a Comment